Regulatory Bodies

There are a number of regulatory bodies that can assist members of occupational pension schemes. We have provided further details of these below:

The Pensions Regulator (TPR)

TPR makes sure that pension schemes are run in accordance with the law. TPR can become involved in the running of a scheme where the trustees, employers or professional advisors do not carry out their duties properly.


The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS)

TPAS provides a free and confidential service that is available at any time to assist members and beneficiaries with:

  • Any pension query they may have
  • Any difficulty they have failed to resolve with the trustees.

You can contact TPAS through your local Citizens Advice Bureau, but they can also be contacted directly at:

The Pensions Advisory Service
11 Belgrave Road
Telephone: 0845 6012923
Website: The Pensions Advisory Service

The Pensions Ombudsman

The Pensions Ombudsman can investigate and determine any complaint of maladministration or dispute of fact or law in relation to a scheme that is made or referred to him. The Pensions Ombudsman should only be contacted if TPAS was unable to settle the dispute.

The Pensions Ombudsman may be contacted at:

The Pensions Ombudsman
11 Belgrave Road
Telephone: 020 7834 9144
Website: The Pension Ombudsman

The Pension Tracing Service

The Tracing Service aims to help individuals trying to locate pension benefits they have lost touch with, such as a previous employer’s scheme. It is part of the Department for Work and Pensions and can be contacted at the following address:

Pension Tracing Service
The Pension Service
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1BA
Telephone: 0845 600 2537
Website: The Pension Service

The Department for Work and Pensions

The Department for Work and Pensions has a number of information services available to members of the public. These include the Pension Service, the Pension Guide website, the Pensioners’ Guide and also a website for the over 50s. The Pension Service can provide information and services for everyone whether they are planning for retirement or are about to retire.

Website: The Department for Work and Pensions

Pensions Wise

Pension Wise only provides guidance on defined contribution pensions.


Pension Wise
PO Box 10404
Ashby de la Zouch
LE65 9EH